Saturday, June 12, 2010

we are not feeling photogenic today

I might not have posted anything today, but on my way to the mailbox I noticed something cool: a white spiderwort with purple naughty bits, instead of the more typical purple-all-over kind.

 100_1865

So here you are.
The normal kind at top left and its cousin to the lower right.

I took pictures of other random things, but they don’t make the cut even with my pretty terrible standards for photo quality.

 100_1867

Except I have come across some huge, mutant red clover.

   100_1870

I remember keying this one out last year but I forget what it is, and as it was drizzly, I didn’t stick around long enough to commit enough details to memory to do the job properly. This entails following the instructions in the flower guide:

51nnvx9dEEL._SS500_You pay attention to the number of petals, the positioning/ arrangement of the leaves, and the shape of the leaves. From there, you proceed through a classic, forking logic tree of options.The lazy way to do it is to flip idly through the pictures til you see what looks like it might work. I normally don’t do that, but I caved for this blog post – I mean, I have legions of readers, just tons of you guys out there, all…two of you, and I know you’re dying to know, so let’s just say, it’s either white campion or bladder campion.

100_1871I have not even ATTEMPTED to get to know grasses, sedges, and reeds.

Hey, do you want to see a picture of how well the new canned food regime is working out for the cats? You don’t? That’s fortunate, because really, pictures of vomit tend to produce vomiting, don’t you find? Yeah, they both enjoy eating the stuff, but at least one of them is having trouble keeping it down. Of course, if she’d stop eating a ton of grass out of the lawn maybe she wouldn’t have this problem. She’s Resting on the Couch right now, conserving her energy. Our scale, naturally, disagrees with the vet’s scale – and there are the usual calibration problems to boot. On the home scale, she’s a whopping.nineteen.pounds.

I’ve been in the mood for a five or six mile run. Tomorrow’s plans call for a one mile time trial, followed by a three mile run. I’ve thus far managed to avoid dealing with the time trials, but I think I’ll actually try one tomorrow. It’s a complicated bit of walking, jogging slowly, jogging a little faster, doing this coasting thingy, repeating all of the above a handful of times, and then running a mile hard, and then reversing the whole process. This is all a little tough to do accurately without access to a track. And no, I don’t have a Garmin. But, now that I’ve read up on it, it sounds like it will net out at at least 4.5 or 5 miles, which is what princess groundypants is in the mood for.

No comments:

Post a Comment