Friday, June 11, 2010

In which I meet one of the neighbors

100_1858

Why hello! 

This little fellow was on hand to greet me when I stepped outside for the afternoon’s mail run. After rummaging around on various Vermont snake websites, I’m fairly confident this is a garter snake. Or, as a neighbor’s kid describes them, a “gardening snake”. This, by the way, is right next to the front steps.

100_1854

He’s the blob in the center of the picture.

I am sad to report that I had a low-grade frustration of a day. I was neither fully zen-like, nor fully productive, and consequently spent the better part of the day quietly yelling at myself just under the threshold of consciousness. Either take on some heinous cleaning/purging/organizing task, or dive into meditation, Sarah. Nooooo…let’s wander around on YouTube, instead. Argh.

Charlie is presenting the top of his head to me to be kissed, which is the kind of swell guy he is, and Kevin has provided ample similar kindnesses. So I should be OK.

See, here’s the thing: have you ever had a weekend morning where you slept in a good three hours longer than you would have thought necessary? There’s no point in feeling guilty about such a thing – clearly, your system needed the rest. Well, I’ve been Not Working for 10.5 months now, and this might have been the first day that I was well and truly bored.

Sap’s rising, I guess.

And now, for the flower report.

100_1860

Hawkweed. Those three-leaved things in the top right are strawberries.

100_1859

Forget-me-nots. The color is all washed out here – these are a delightful blue, with yellow centers.

Here, I stole this from Google to show you what I mean. These are Automatic Grin flowers.

100_1862

The Siberian irises in the driveway have set seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment