Tuesday, June 15, 2010

a sunny respite

When I was small, very small, I thought this word was pronounced “ree – spite”. Rhymes with “trite”.  Ah, the problems of a kid who had more interactions with books than with other English-speaking children.

Where were we? Oh, the fine day we had today. Yes, we had sun! Yay! And I learned something important: I do better when it’s sunny. Who knew? No, seriously. This is…new information to me. Yep.

100_1883

The tomatoes are coming along!

 

100_1884

I lounged on the firepit rock and observed Maggie.

100_1885 Charlie came over to say hello.

100_1886 The poisonous foxglove beckoned alluringly.

The raspberries are forming up – they’re still green.

100_1887 cropped

I don’t know how long they’ll take to become tasty.
I’ll be sure to let you know…

I’ve noticed what I thought at first were pink wild roses along the driveway. Now, we have these awesome sweet-smelling white roses I’ve already mentioned – so lovely, you can smell them from 15 feet away (if you’re me. Not so much, if you’re Kevin). So at first I thought, excellent, we have pink ones, too.

Except, check out those leaves. Them leaves ain’t rose leaves. 

100_1890 Huh. Time for Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide. And the winner is…High mallow (Malva sylvestris)

100_1891

More spiderwort on the way.  An unfortunate name. 

 

100_1892

Large white-flowered anemone (Anemone riparia), which is not, contrary to what my inner child might have thought, pronounced “annie-moan”. “Tis “an-emeny”. Only it seems to be quite friendly, extending a warm welcome the entire left side of our driveway.

OH! MY RUN!

So I’ve been feeling restless and irritable lately, right? And part of it was the crappy weather, and part of it was the Age Old and Eternal Question, “What Am I Doing With My Life”.

I decided to have a bit of a fast run to burn off energy. Victory! No specific stats to report, but a definite improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment