Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On Addiction

Oh crap, I’ve gotten completely hooked on this girl’s blog. Where has the day gone? What did I do today? Oh, I made cheesecake, that’s right. In honor of sweetpea’s birthday yesterday. (We knew we’d be out at the Simba concert last night, so all B-Day Feasting is occurring tonight.)

The recipe I had was from my mom (and grandma, before her), and it called for 12 ounces of cream cheese. So, I threw that, a couple of eggs, some sugar, some vanilla, into the magic blender, and poured it all into the graham cracker crust. And…it just didn’t seem like enough. It covered the bottom of the crust, but barely. “Well, THAT won’t do,” I said to myself.

No worries - I made another half-batch of the filling (because for reasons of inattention during the recipe-reading-and-cream-cheese purchasing phase, I had a veritable boatload of cream cheese at the ready), and dumped that on top. And thought, “that’s still not enough. Screw it, I’m using up the rest of cream cheese”.

So I get everything out of the fridge and commence to making up a third batch of filling. It was while I was measuring everything out for this batch that I realized two things, simultaneously.

#1. I’d screwed up the proportions on the half-batch of filling I’d already added to the original pie. It had too much egg and sugar. And it was just floating on top of the first full batch, not really incorporated. Ooops.

#2. If I added a full dose of filling to this already 1.5 x normal size pie, it would dramatically throw off the necessary cooking time. And I don’t know how to tell if a cheesecake is done, as I’ve never made one before. Crap. Crap, crap, crap.

So, I figured, I guess I’m making TWO cheesecakes now. That means making another graham cracker crust. FINE. Be that way.

Just for kicks, I added a can of pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice to the second one. And I added the sour cream/sugar topping to the first one. 

100_1948 

Here’s the pumpkin one – fresh out of the oven. It sank down a bit once it had cooled down for a few minutes.

They’re both in the fridge now, cooling down.

Then I had the stupid idea of looking up the nutritional content of the first pie, on this cool website.

 What was I thinking

 

whoa nellie

Wow. Holy cow. That’s a lot of…wow.

In other news, all the cantaloupe plants flowered today!

100_1941    

100_1942

The daylilly buds are still busy.

100_1944

Hurry up, raspberries – you’d go great on a cheesecake…

  100_1943

One of the tomato plants has gotten taller than its cage-thingy. Nobody’s ripe yet, though.

Ho hum. I wonder if they’re cooled down enough by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment