Monday, November 2, 2009

The stairs are nearly done. Here are the last ones, above the first landing.

Kevin and I came across some mystery hardwood floor leftover pieces yesterday. It's a good thing I didn't swipe them for my New Addition Art Project, because today I learned what they are.

They've got all these little burn holes in them. Today, Steve dug out the resulting bits and glued them into the drill holes on the treads.

These holes, for instance - have been stuffed, but not yet pounded in.

See? All pounded in.

Jonathan and I had a conversation about the hinges for the trap door into the Pit of Despair. Unfortunately, they made the door too big - it weighs a ton. As in, actually, to be more accurate, about a hundred pounds. As much as I would like to think of myself as a goddess-like stud, that's just too much.
Remember earlier, I was saying something about how they were going to need to reinforce the trap door cause it was too bouncy? The solution here wound up being to leave two removable sections of floor joist under the opening. The one at left is in place, as you can see. The one at right has been removed so that one can get in and out of the crawl space via that conveniently located ladder.

That's the door, resting against the wall. Like I said, a freakin' ton. Pardon my French.

Because we clearly haven't spent enough money already, I spent some time today picking out, oh joy of joys, towel rods! ...and other such niceties. I have this thing about towel rods that are actually wide enough for a towel that is NOT folded in half. You know, so that it can get dry. Alas, due to the fact that we created this Wee Little Bathroom, there will be room for only one such Magnificent Towel Rod. (As is the case, I might add, with our current bathroom.) So we'll wound up putting shorter rods on the back of the Wee Tiny Door.

Did you know that it's possible to spend nearly $300 for a TP holder? I didn't. Don't worry: we're not going there.

Jonathan and I also talked about the closet - where the shelves will be, and where the rods will be. This is just a picture to tide you over. You will see, though, some insulation leaning against the wall on the right. I believe this will be used to insulate the hatch between the closet, and the attic of the old house, which is in the far back left corner of the closet.

Lastly, no pix, but we figured out some more about the stairwell's wall-o'-books - where the standards and brackets will be to support the shelves. The idea is that I should be able (at 5'4") to reach everything, without going on tip-toe and taking a header down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment