Monday, May 31, 2010

just another day in paradise

Happy (is that the right word? Maybe “reverential” would be a more appropriate word?) Memorial Day. I believe the nearest parade around here is in Wilmington – I knew for sure that neither Brattleboro nor Saxton’s River has a Memorial Day Parade. We’re saving all our juice for Strolling of the Heifers this upcoming weekend. At any rate, we celebrated in the usual fashion: a day at home. Joy!

And now, a science quiz. We’re going to test your knowledge of the concept of triangulation. Given the position of Charlie and Maggie in the picture below, where is The Chipmunk?

100_1759

 

Not sure? Care to see it from a different angle?

100_1758

I commented to Kevin that I was glad the cats are focused on the lawn and the woodland at the top of the picture, above, which is a hillside leading down to the driveway we share with our neighbors. Because otherwise, they’d be oriented up the hill, to the hundreds of acres of woods, which I can only imagine is populated with evil fisher cats. So Kevin pointed out that hey, we DID just build them a chipmunk house to play with, and I guess that’s about the most use anyone’s gotten out of the firepit so far this year.

Hummingbirds have spotted the feeder. We’ve seen a ruby-throated male, and a female. I’ve been spending a lot of time on the deck, and paying attention to bird song. What I don’t know about whose song is whose could fill an encyclopedia. Nevertheless, I am learning: I am learning that none of the birds, from here to the wetland a quarter mile away, like it when motorcycles go down the main road. Everyone shuts up for a good minute or two.

What else.

SNAKES!

100_1772

“Hmmmm” says Charlie.

 

100_1773

“Uh oh” says the snake.

 

100_1760

The infernal raspberry bushes, which I keep meaning to kill off, are in bloom. I need to remember that I like eating the raspberries, and to only get upset when I see them in, say, the middle of the lawn.

100_1785 A subsequent investigation of the flowers, with this camera that cannot deal with close-ups, shows that there is a very cool puff ball stage of flowering which is extremely fascinating. WAAGGHH!!! BZZZZZZZ!!!! The male hummingbird just swooped in for a swig.
HUL-lo! This is a lovely time of day – it’s when the wood thrush sings. Never heard one? Think of John Coltrane, “Love Supreme”, second movement – seemingly random, but coherent, sets of notes…very haunting. Here.

Oh, hey, Ma: be sure to scroll down to where you see this

press to play

to play the call.

Various things a-blooming that I haven’t keyed out yet. Some purple and white something-or-other.

 100_1777

100_1781

Here’s the apple tree along the shared drive – that’s our local fire substation on the right, always handy to have those boys nearby. Our town’s trucks are glow-in-the-dark green – how cool is that?

100_1782And here’s my buddy, the baneberry – done flowering, and starting to grow little berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment