Wednesday, May 19, 2010

it’s not easy, being green

It’s Wednesday…that means it’s time for the weekly haul from Akaogi’s CSA. I traded voicemails with Linda last week and got more info about what we’re eating.

100_1676

This mysterious veggie, which reminds me of romaine, is an open headed Chinese cabbage called santosai.

100_1670

This is a a thirty-inch long pile of lettuce. We can get through all this lettuce if we each eat salad twice a day. Bring it on!

 100_1672

A huge mound of spinach. The leaves are bigger than last week’s, which makes sense. I cooked all this down and we had it for dinner tonight. Yeah, with other stuff…

100_1673

…such as, in my case, scallions. I’m still working through last week’s scallions. Trust me, this week’s pile is H-U-G-E.

100_1674

The pile in the front is red giant mustard. The stuff to the right is mibuna, which is in the mustard family as well. Apparently, mibuna goes well in salads, but so far my approach has been to steam or saute a great big handful of each of these – thus depriving myself of the opportunity to enjoy the various subtle nuances and whatnot.

100_1675

Komatsuna, aka ‘spinach mustard’.

Oh, and we got a big pile of asparagus, too.

A couple of slugs and two spiders in this week’s batch as well. They’re in the compost pile now and hopefully just fine. At first I tossed such critters out in front of the house, but do I really want them to eat our hostas? Probably not.

In other news, I lifted weights on Monday and I’m still recovering. Wuss! Wuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment