Saturday, November 20, 2010

we are on the map.

It’s a big day in our little household o’ domestic bliss. We have removed some obstacles to our devoted public locating us. And on more than one level.

The snafu of the mis-delivered running shoes finally got me off my butt and over to the neighbor’s house – not only to pick up the package – but to get my hands on this beautiful little directional sign she’d painted ages ago.

P1030372

Kev assembled a post out of scrap wood and sank it into the ground. No more excuses, UPS delivery guy! No more awkward turning-around-in-a-hairpin-turn, O Septic Tank People! Yes, we finally have our house number up.

And that reminded us to deal with a Christmas gift from last year.

P1030400

That’s right – we even have a doorbell now. Before we added on to the house, there was no need for one – the house was so small, you could easily hear someone walking up the front steps.

AND, last but not least, my shiny new business cards arrived in the mail. So exciting!

P1030397

That’s right. I have a business card. See, in a few weeks, assuming I pass the criminal background check (cough, cough), I’ll be volunteering at a nearby hospital, giving Reiki to patients. Now, I won’t be allowed to promote my services to folks – a) that would be rude and b) it’s not allowed, but I am allowed to give out my contact info if asked. As a former Girl Scout, I say, “be prepared”, so I had business cards printed up.

P1030398

They’re p-u-r-p-l-e!

What else. My first batch of pie dough is in the fridge. I’ll roll it out tomorrow. I followed the instructions exactly and I still think I screwed it up – it doesn’t look like it’s supposed to look. I’ll bet it tastes fine, anyway. Oh, I’ve made pie dough before – but only the kind where you mix the ingredients by hand in the pie dish (what a Southerner friend of mine calls “white trash crust”, but since she’s a Southerner, she’s apparently allowed to say that.)

On the nature front, we have…

P1030378

Some false Solomon’s seal berries. The virtues of having paid attention all along – I recognized this by the shape and color of one of the dessicated leaves still clinging to the stalk.

Little spots of colors really are jumping out, as everything else fades into late fall’s palette. Even the fields are beginning to go yellow…

P1030391

 

Here’s this mysterious ferny grass stuff that is changing colors right around now and hence suddenly begging for attention:

P1030384

 

No more stealing the neighbor’s Concord grapes…

P1030396

 

I got an ID on that little guy I found blooming last week!

P1030386

P1030388

It’s yarrow, aka milfoil. Achillea millefolium. Whew, that’s a relief.

2 comments:

  1. I just had someone suggest to me that I should soak my wounded finger in a yarrow tea. Very cool and fun to see what it actually looks like!

    I have randomly to tell you (a few posts too late) I found the bit about hot water going into a toilet very intriguing. (Yes, I am officially a nerd). The condensation part makes so much sense and something my non-plumber self never would have thought about - I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself thinking about that over the last few days. (more nerd confirmation.)

    And hey! Looks like your new business cards will match your new running sneaks, no? You will be TOTALLY stylin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a. Herbal Medicine. Yeah, wow, that's just a vast subject, I won't even GO there. I figure for now, just keeping my eyes open to SEE my various plant neighbors is a good thing. Eventually I'll learn more about who's edible, medicinal purposes, etc. Good luck with your finger! You WILL post pictures, RIGHT?

    b. Yeah, you go, nerd! In your COPIOUS amounts of spare time, feel free to peruse posts from the summer/fall of '09, when we were having our house added on to, and each day was a new geeky discovery for me. (I am the world's least 'handy' person.)

    c. Color coordination is everything.

    ReplyDelete