Thursday, November 25, 2010

Before and After

Before
P1030551
(yes, that’s a little dough heart on top of the pie, thank you.)

After
P1030559
“How many people?”, you ask? Oh…just the two of us…yeah…
This is the second apple-pie-from-scratch I’ve ever made – the first one being only, um, a coupla days ago. And this one was MUCH better. Flaky, buttery, melt in your mouth. I didn’t unintentionally over-mix the dough, as I did with the first one, and I also remembered to brush the crust with milk and dust it with cinnamon sugar. The crust was fabulously flaky. Next time – a little less nutmeg. Apart from that? Perfect.
Oh yeah, and the rest of the meal was awesome, as well. I soaked the turkey breast in brine for about three hours this morning, surrounded it with baby potatoes from our CSA with fresh sage, rosemary, and peppercorns. Steamed green beans. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.
Naturally I got all interested in the fresh sage:
P1030554
P1030555

The cats are like, “that’s nice. What about us?”
P1030560

And so, to bed. Good night, world. Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment