Tuesday, November 2, 2010

these are some of my favorite things

It’s my birthday, it’s my birthday, it’s my birthday!

We celebrated by going to Perkins and then to Home Depot! Oh Boy! And we bought bamboo flooring for the about-to-be-renovated-bathroom for $1.99 a square foot! And a lighting fixture as well:

light

Very exciting, no?

Over the course of the day it went from completely overcast to blue-sky-puffy-clouds to flawless perfect blue sky. Thanks, weather gods! I figured, in light of what I knew would be happening next, I should go for a run, so I knocked out four miles and then set to work figuring out dinner.

See, Plan A was to eat a steak the size of my head. So I’d gotten one at the coop a couple of days ago. But as it turns out, Kevin was jonesing for steak the other night, and who am I to say no to my beloved? We cooked up the birthday steak. (In his defense, he didn’t realize I had Plans for this steak.) It was fabulous. But I don’t like to eat red meat any more often than once or twice a month at most. The urge was satiated, so….

….Plan B was to make my rockstar cousin Emily’s award-winning saag paneer pizza (recipes here and here). But both of us were lusting after pizza last night. Lusting. So we did our usual – half red sauce/pepperoni/garlic, half pesto/broccoli/garlic. (Don’t forget the garlic.)

Plan C turned out to be this:

P1020835

I spun a half stick of unsalted butter and a half head of garlic in the food processor and dumped our little slimy friends into ramekins, dumped the whipped garlic butter on top, and warmed them up at 375° for about 20 minutes

P1020833

I can manage these if I don’t look too closely.

There were deeeee-licious.

And then this happened:

P1020834

That’s right, my famous chocolate heroin sauce. The recipe’s here. You have to wade through some flower pictures to get to it, of course.

For some reason, I have a couple of Facebook friends telling me to get off Facebook and start licking garlic butter off Kevin. Hm, that actually does sound like fun. See ya!

1 comment: