Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Now we are just haggling over the price.

Scrounging for floral color here.
P1160062
Pale smartweed: it tiny.

P1160107
Fall dandelion: arrives late to the party, but brings awesomeness. [Editor's note: I lied. It's Cat's Ear. Still awesome, though.]

P1160083
Common evening primrose.

P1160090
Ditto, having gone to seed.
Speaking of going to seed, remember the gentian that I was worried about earlier? No? Here, I’ll remind you. Here’s the time-lapse sequence:
August 20: deliciousP1140065 August 31: sheer voluptuousnessP1140675
September 16: going over the hillP1150238 September 24: yuck
P1150506
I was worried about these because they seemed to be moldering away without having had a chance to open up. Turns out this is most likely Gentiana clausa – aka, “closed gentian”. How they manage to do their business is anyone’s guess. Presumably small intrepid insects are involved. At any rate, here’s what it looks like as of today:
P1160076
Those flowers are PACKED with seeds; to wit:
P1160070

Flowers that rely on windborne dispersal are going great gang-busters, which kinda makes sense, since a lot of birds have packed up and left for the season. Now, that’s the sort of reckless statement that deserves actual study to back it up. I’ll put it on the list for next year, I suppose. At any rate, here are a few of my favorites from today:
P1160133
Tall anemone (thimbleweed). My head is exploding!

P1160141
Rats, I’m not sure what this is.

P1160145
Milkweed: proof that starting to lose your mind can be beautiful.
And now, for more milkweed pørn*.
P1160146
P1160149
P1160151
*Yes, I just spent five minutes figuring out how to make a slashed zero, rather than spell it out, since that word generates a lot of blog traffic: users the world over end up here, looking for --- oh, nasty stuff. Imagine their surprise when they find me, instead. I could keep using That Word to up my ranking in Nature Blog Network, but that would make me a whore**.
**Ooops.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I am wondering if your "dandilion" is actually Catsear (Hypochaeris radicata or Hypochoeris radicata), also known as flatweed, cat's ear or false dandelion. It's a low-lying edible herb often found in lawns. Bitter leaves that are more hairy than dandilion.
    Bright Blessings, Arianna

    ReplyDelete