Sunday, October 30, 2011

I’ll have snow for my birthday, I think

Yesterday was spent in anticipation of this:

P1160572

Or, more accurately, in expectation of the all-too-predictable power outages that accompany ten inches of snowfall.

What do you do when you think you might lose power? Mop the basement floor, anyone? Yes, that’s where I start all my big projects. I’m sure there’s something profound in there. I also did a ton of laundry, made beef stew, made sure every last fork, knife, and spoon was clean, filled the bathtub with water, and – at the last minute, as it turns out – made two batches of cookies. One, for my newly-gluten-free sweetpea, and one, for me, that was coincidentally also gluten-free. (Which is what happens when you swap out peanut flour for regular flour. You end up with peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and who wouldn’t want that?)

The power went out around 8:30 pm, five minutes into our Scheduled Evening Entertainment. Fortunately, Kevin had long ago procured three solar-powered lanterns, which sit on windowsills all day, soaking up juice. So we snuggled in with Plan B (our respective Kindles) and were asleep before ten.

The power was still out this morning when the cats’ full-body slams against the bedroom door finally induced me to get up. I was too lazy to go outside until the breeze had already blown the snow off twigs and branches.

P1160574

 

Kevin was not nearly so lazy.

P1160573

P1160577

He’s more productive than I am, I guess. In my defense, we only have one shovel. (We had two, but one broke – how long should a shovel last? Is ten years good?)

The power was out in the early afternoon and we decided to head out into the big world to see if we could access the Interwebs from where he works. Oh, and we got another shovel. No more excuses, I guess!

 

P1160581

Vermont: snow, and photosynthesis, and fall colors, in the same day

No comments:

Post a Comment