Monday, January 10, 2011

the return of nature girl

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you…witchhazel – Hamamelis virgiana. It’s been a while since I’ve ventured forth with the camera. Spotting this was a fabulous and exciting moment.

P1030918

The yellow things are its fruit. Witchhazel, I am informed, is unusual in that it sports its buds and fruits and flowers all at the same time. I’ll keep you posted for when I spot the flowers.

The buds:

P1030923

Happy sigh.  We’re on the edge of the shared driveway, incidentally.

Remember the blue cohosh? We’ve seen this same plant here, here, and so on.  There is something lovely about getting to know an individual wild plant. Spotting the cohosh today was like recognizing a friend I hadn’t seen in a long, long time.

P1030924 fiddled

Continuing on to the stream…ahhh, you’ll love this. The stream has thawed and refrozen, thawed and refrozen, several times over the past few weeks.

Looking downstream…

P1030934

 

And now, looking upstream…

P1030936

 

And some details of the ice shelves on the upstream side…

P1030926

 

This particular one reminds me of a shelf mushroom.

P1030929

On my way to the mailbox, I saw evidence of some other little being’s curiosity…

P1030930

P1030932

In other news, I did seven miles on the treadmill yesterday. It was a little boring. Get used to it, I figured – I’m aiming for a half marathon in mid-May, a time of year that typically, I’m barely ready for a 5K. 

And, the massage table arrived. It’s like butter – heavenly gorgeous and so very purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment