Friday, August 20, 2010

progression

Let’s go for a walk and see what’s cooking. This was…yesterday, by the way.

P1010298

P1010326

monarch and…white admiral, I think.

 

This four mile loop reminds me of why I love living here... I can hear myself think. Not for me the urban life, thanks.

P1010310

I cross country ski here in the winter, thanks to the owner’s generosity of spirit; they maintain groomed trails for the neighbors. 

P1010313

Dirt road, crickets, heaven.

P1010348

My half hour runs take me along the road at the left edge of this field.

Onwards to the theme of this post – progression. Ripening. Cycles. And whatnot.

P1010316

flowering…

P1010318

some are done, some are still at it…

P1010317

All done; seeds are in the oven baking…these three campions (?) were quite near each other, so I could observe the different stages of flowering and setting seeds without having to travel far in the time-space continuum...

Let’s play the same game with the False Solomon’s Seal berries…devoted blog fans may recall that I fell over myself the day I realized these were speckled… On that day, I guessed that the berries go red eventually…here are three pictures from one walk…

P1010302

Un…(we’re speaking French now…)

P1010312

Deux…

P1010324

Trois! Comme c’est magnifique!

P1010340

Not to be outdone, the blue cohosh flirted with my camera, but the two were unable to come to an agreement as to where to focus – hence the slight blurriness.

Quoi d’autre…(what else)…um…the red baneberry is still going strong…This (ahem) is my VERY OWN PICTURE, I did not borrow liberate steal it from the interwebs.

P1010303Remember, kids: don’t eat this.

Are you bored of the flowers? Wanna hear about running? Here’s the scoop: I’m going to pretend like I have another half marathon right on the horizon. I’ll be running twice a week for about a half hour a pop, with a longer run on the weekends. This weekend’s long run will be only 4 or 5 miles, and next week, I’m planning on TEN MILES, just cause I can.

Oh my god, I never thought I’d be able to do that. I hate to give credence to corporate slogans, ‘cause that’s trite and all, but Nike had it right:

nike-just-do-it

I forgot to mention earlier that on the bus back to our hotel after the race on Sunday, we happened to sit directly in front of the guy who placed first in his age division. He ran that puppy in 1:17. So…just about twice as fast as I did. Hee hee! I got him to show us all the engraved plaque he won, and everyone ooh’d and aah’d. Turns out he works in New Haven, and will be running the 20K on the upcoming Labor Day weekend race. Which reminds me, I need to register for the 5K, duh.

Oh, and in other news, I “lifted weights” yesterday. So, the program to be studly and all is progressing. (Just to stick to my theme, here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment