Wednesday, August 11, 2010

a last check in with the neighbors…

email

Kevin’s taking me to the airport bright and early tomorrow morning for my first – and hopefully not last by a long shot – half marathon. I’ve never run in a race this big, have I? I don’t think so. Anything that involves reminder emails and taking a bus to the starting line is big-time for me. Woo hoo!

I’m pretty much packed…just need another book or two…

Let’s do one more visit with the neighbors before I head out…Our friend the globe thistle is opening up! Isn’t this spectacular?

P1010122

 

P1010128

A late-blooming clover. I’m liking the bit at the base of the stem.

 

P1010130

I’m having a wretched time getting this baby to focus on what I want it to focus on – in this case, the ripe blackberry in the middle.

We are awash in these.

 P1010133

I’m not complaining. I’m too busy stuffing them into my mouth.

P1010135

 

Thus satiated, I finally turned my attention to the nearby goldenrod…

P1010136

Panic ensued when a bee showed up. Oh! Oh! Oh! I should be – uh – something about shutter speed…howzat work…don’t go away, bee…I never did succeed in a crisp shot of this guy. Ah well – maybe next time.

After humming idly and pretending I was interested in other things, I finally tricked a hummingbird into showing up at the feeder...

P1010144

Slurp.

I spent the afternoon in a frenzy of cleaning veggies from the CSA and cooking – a double dose of basil alchemized (new word) into pesto. A slew of ripe peaches – sliced and into the freezer. Eggplants and zucchini from the CSA – sliced, brushed with olive oil, grilled, snacked upon, and into the fridge. We have t-h-i-r-t-y
o-n-e pounds of blueberries in the freezer and there is not much room for anything else in there. These are problems that in these troubled times, I am glad to have.

OK, that’s it for the day.

Dramamine, check…

No comments:

Post a Comment