Wednesday, September 8, 2010

a zucchini the size of a baseball bat

Having thus lured you with tales of vegetables, I shall change the subject immediately.

If the mousies are suddenly quiet, is that because Maggie gave them a stern talking to and they left (or were eaten)? Or is it because they have moved on to Phase B, which is very silent, but perhaps involves the production of Many Mousie Babies?

‘Tis a mystery.

Fall is definitely, definitely on its way. It was about 60ยบ out this morning when I went running. Not cool enough for tights, but a little shivery in the shorts as I started with my customary five minutes of walking.

Today was a recovery run. It goes like this:

Brain: OK, let’s go guys, three miles.
Legs: NO FREAKING WAY! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!
Brain: Don’t worry guys, we’re not doing speedwork today. It’s a recovery run.
Legs: Couldn’t we recover by lying on the couch? Lying on the couch is Very Restful!
Brain: Trust me, you’ll like this.
Legs: What do you know? You just sit up there! We do all the work!
Brain: Uh huh. Get moving.
Legs: OH GOD! THE WORLD’S COMING TO AN END!
Brain: Mmm hmmm. [minutes pass.] How’re you guys doing?
Legs: fine. thanks for asking. only three miles? can’t we do five? pleeze?

And it was indeed, fine. Cause it was nice and slow.

 

As for yesterday’s adventures, I figure Arianna and I paddled about five miles total.

kayak

The most exciting part was when two sailboats racing each other came charging right at us, and one went in between Arianna’s kayak and my kayak. That was cool. The guy who cut between us was probably seventy, and about as lean and weatherbeaten and comfortable in his skin as a person could hope to be. He looked to be having the time of his life.  And the other cool part was, I managed to get my kayak off and back on the truck all by myself without accidentally dropping it or saying any bad words. So empowering! But of course the best part, was just seeing an old friend I don’t get to see all that often. 

I didn’t bring my camera, for fear of getting it wet and ruining it, but I did find one picture online that will give you an idea of the loveliness, so go look at it here.

I am headed to Oregon soon for the long-awaited Reiki Master class, plus the added-bonus-visiting-of-the-sister. I have thus been researching Portland restaurants, as I will have occasion to be eating out pretty much the whole time. The hotel I’ll be staying in is apparently in the middle of nowhere (as far as walkable neighborhood amenities are concerned) but I’ve already geeked out and figured out the subway/bus schedule, etc. If I were even cooler, I’d have a smartphone, and I wouldn’t even bother worrying about any of this until I arrived in Portland. I guess I’m kickin’ it old school. Or something.

Check out this awesome map my friend Justin, who just lived in Portland for a year, made for me.

Finally, I figured out what to do with a zucchini from Greenough’s garden the size of a mid-range torpedo: I shredded it in the food processor and turned it into zucchini bread, duh.

Last but not least, the nature report. Dead snake out on the road. Creamy, brown splotches outlined in black. Probably a milk snake. I have seen waaaayy too many dead snakes this year. No pictures, and most of the ones online are copyrighted, not that that has stopped me from thievery before, but I’m feeling law-abiding tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment