Friday, April 23, 2010

I am not left handed.

[fencing]
Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful.
Man in Black: Thank you; I've worked hard to become so.
Inigo Montoya: I admit it, you are better than I am.
Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.
Man in Black: And what is that?
Inigo Montoya: I... am not left-handed.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
Man in Black: You are amazing.
Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.
Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]

- The Princess Bride

A couple of years ago, I noticed that my beloved husband is not, in fact, right-handed. He writes with his right hand. He throws right-handed. He bats right-handed. He even golfs right-handed. But I had noticed that when using an axe to chop down a sapling, his whole body seemed more coordinated when he was using his left hand. We got to talking about it, and he mentioned that at some point in 5th grade, he stopped using cursive and lower case letters in school. He just went on strike. To this day, he only writes in capital letters.

Now when I was little, it took me a little while to accept that I was right-handed – both my father, and my two older siblings are left-handed, and I imitated them at first. But it wasn’t long before I accepted that nope, I’m like my mom – right-handed. During college, for no particular reason, I started writing with my left hand, just for the fun of it. That lasted for a couple of years. I write pretty legibly with my left hand. So, I picked up a pen and paper, and wrote Kevin a message, using my left hand. Try it, I said.

He took pen to hand, and wrote I am not left-handed. Using lower case letters. I looked at it and laughed. Uh huh, sure you aren’t.

The other day, I obtained further proof.

100_1486 These are the gloves Kevin uses to bring firewood into the house. Look at the finger tips. Need I say more?

In other news, spring has arrived in full force. In years past, we’d still have snow on the ground in the woods, and on north-facing slopes, up through the first week of May.

100_1477

The magnolia tree finally let go and opened its blossoms yesterday, in honor of earth day.

100_1471

And here we have some spring wildflowers along the driveway. On the left and center are blue cohosh. And there are two trillium in there as well, with the maroon flowers. Trillium rely on flies for pollination. Flies like rotting meat. Thus, these flowers smell god-awful, the better to attract flies. Yum!

Correction: I have been informed that beloved started off batting right-handed, but switched over to left-handed about eight years ago. Pretty devious of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment