Thursday, October 8, 2009

Primer going up.

Today Mike and Steve came to start painting. It was great to see them again!

Painting is one thing I (sorta) know how to do, so I helped. First, both of them urethaned the windowsills. Theoretically, this should have happened before the drywallers got here but they weren't able to get to it in time. While they did that, I taped the jams around the windows. Then Mike cut the edges in the corners and along the line between the ceiling and walls. I rolled the primer. Rolling's my favorite because you get such a big bang for your buck.

This delicious mochachino color is a false alarm: it's just a tinted primer. Jonathan had a swimming pool's worth of the stuff from a previous job, so he checked to see that it would be compatible with the paint we're using.


The bit to the left of the closet will be "Day Lilly" (a shade of white), so I primed that in ordinary white primer. We all realized that where the stairs turn the corner at the landing, there's that bit that still needs some drywalling. This is something these guys will do, rather than the subs.

Oh hey, this is a cool little detail of the how the office's exterior door is inset into the double-thick wall.

While Mike and I were occupied in the office, Steve did all the scary stuff in the stairwell - the edging in the way high up space...


...and the window boxes.

In the meantime, Jonathan stopped by (I cheated - this picture's actually from yesterday).

Still able to smile, despite broken ribs and taped fingers!

Anyway. He suggested we put some of the chosen colors up to make sure they're what we want. I had a mild moment of panic when the sample splotches of the two colors in the bedroom went up: they did not resemble the paint chips at all. Not one little bit. Gulp. And here we were with multiple gallons of the stuff. I asked Kevin (my Official Blood Pressure Reducer) to come check it out, and he said it looked fine. Later in the day, after they'd dried, they looked great, and I chilled out.

Here's a blob of the "sour apple" green that's going in the bathroom. Naturally, this picture doesn't it do it justice.


We got the walls of the bedroom primed.

You can make out the blob of "Yuma Gold" to the right, buried under the primer.

At the end of the workday, Kevin emerged from his Sudafed coma (a place I'd spent a lot of time in myself the previous few days) and did the closet.

Tomorrow, Steve and Mike will put primer on the ceilings, and continue in the stairwell. I'll do the downstairs closet, and maybe start in on the bathroom.

But the other thing that Kevin and I need to do tomorrow is rearrange the living room furniture: next week, the crew can wreak havoc and finally break through the wall and join the addition to the house. And the plumber might be able to get another baseboard set up in the existing house as well.

Before.

Basically, this whole wall will be inverted: the old windows will be drywalled, and the wall will be knocked out. I'm glad we won't be around to see it. The cats, on the other hand, are bound to disapprove.

In other news, Gary (solar installer) was back again: today, he worked on installing the timer on the boiler. As I understand it, the timer ensures that the boiler doesn't get all bossy by firing up when the solar panels are quietly going about their business.

This ought to be interesting to get a handle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment