Friday, September 9, 2011

Use these in a sentence: ragweed, question mark, bathtub

All my life, I’ve heard about ragweed. Haven’t you? If you grew up with someone with allergies, as I did; if you grew up hearing the whole house resonate with the sound of explosive sneezes all summer, as I did; if you married a guy allergic to everything that produces pollen, as I did, then you’ve heard of ragweed.
Do you have any idea what ragweed looks like?
Neither did I, until today. Welcome to common ragweed: Ambrosia artemisiifolia. Isn’t that a beautiful name? My otherwise enchanting flower guide – Newcomb’s – describes this as an “unattractive weed”.
Excuse me?
P1120699
This fruit fly begs to differ. I’m cheating a little here – this photo is from late July, when I first discovered this plant growing out by the mailboxes.  Here’s a whole mass of ‘em from back then:
P1120704

Some of them were flowering at the time:
P1120706

By now, they’ve gone to seed:
P1140879
Mystery solved!
Here is one of the last flower on a purple-flowering raspberry we’re likely to see this season. Soak it up while you can.
P1140826

The False Solomon’s Seal berries are seriously turning red by now.
P1140829

And the lily-of-the-valley berries aren’t far behind. I can’t remember if they go all the way to red or not. I guess I’ll find out.
P1140859

When the brook jumped its banks and flooded the meadow, thanks to That Bitch Irene, it brought a lot of the unpaved shared driveway with it (to wit, all that gravel).
P1140837

See all the branches it dumped along the edge of the un-mowed part of the meadow?
P1140910

Here’s something else the floodwaters carried:
P1140912
The bathtub. What a bathtub was doing in the burn pile, I don’t know.
Onwards. A single cattail has decided to sing Allelujah.
P1140900
P1140903

My first question mark. No, really, this is a kind of butterfly, called a question mark – Polygonia interrogationis .
P1140843

And, to wrap up, a late-blooming black-eyed susan, with its requisite tiny white spider, as yet unidentified.
P1140918

No comments:

Post a Comment