Wednesday, August 31, 2011

insert creative post title here. or not.

Long time blog readers will know I went through a complete phase of infatuation with dandelions over the summer, documenting every micro-stage of their going to seed.
P1140616
I got a whiff of that project this afternoon. This here beaut is that tall blue lettuce I just posted on the other day – the one that grows up to 15 feet tall, but is named for its teensy blue stamens.
The seeds of the lone fertilized jack-in-the-pulpit left to me – the others were destroyed by the Irene flooding – are ripening.
P1110751
July 13
P1140619
today, August 31
Here’s some trippy aster action for you. In this one, the outer flowers (remember, this is a composite flower – there are numerous flowers inside that circlet of white rays) are open, but the inner ones are still closed.
P1140624

This one has been at the party a bit longer. All of ‘em are open.
P1140645
I don’t know what kind specifically this is - – there are many to the nth kinds of asters. Some day!
No clue who this next one one is. Stay tuned. Behaves like an aster, but suspiciously yellow.
P1140637

Here’s a common evening primrose – the petals are the ones who look at their watches and leave the party at 8:45 pm.  The stigma and stamens are going to be up all night:
P1140669

I came across a Virginia creeper-type vine that I’ve heretofore ignored (so don’t quote me on that ID), much to my chagrin, because look what it’s been doing lately:
P1140662
I’ve seen this strategy before, in the anemones. Little spiky clusters.
P1140660 P1140661
Some of them are dried up already. How did I miss this? I guess because it’s over by the pole barn – there’s a lot of stuff over there I’ve missed.
One last burst of purple – gentian – is going to be opening up soon:
P1140675
What a treat.
A tiny mystery blob on a log, 1/32” across:
P1140683
fungus?
I surprised what I think might be a pickerel frog in the grass
P1140699
I didn’t want to disturb it by getting too close, because by now both the cats were following me around. Nothing like a little frog appetizer.
Here’s Maggie messing up my attempt at getting a shot of the underside of this mushroom.
P1140703
This led to some hilarity.
P1140704
P1140705
P1140706
Ah, there we go. Damn cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment