Thursday, May 19, 2011

spot the bugs

P1070863
Day lily leaves, showing how the weather’s been lately. Hey, does anyone else remember print ads for Bausch and Lomb contact lenses from the ‘80’s?
Ode to a Dandelion, Part Deux:
P1070956P1070866
And yesterday’s patch of coltsfoot…
P1070703
…today, almost every one of these is a dirty gray puffball. I missed it! Rats! I guess it happens pretty quickly.
Other flowers open more slowly, so we can enjoy ‘em at our leisure. To wit: the lilacs.
P1070867P1080055
The apple trees in our yard are starting to open up.  When I visited my friend Craig over the weekend – here’s another shameless plug for Half Crown Hill Orchard – he and his wife explained how apples generate a cluster bomb of five buds at a go, with the “king” blossom in the center. They might not have used the phrase “cluster bomb” – that sounds like something I might have made up. I’d never noticed that before, so imagine my delight when I saw this:
P1070878
P1070883

Still no luck identifying Random Lawn Weed:
P1070884P1070888
Thin, skinny, alternating leaves; behaves kind of like a vine. Anybody have a clue?
And now for something truly exciting. I think I may have found some wild ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) today. Or possibly red baneberry (Actaea rubra). It’s exciting – well, it’s exciting to me, either way – but it’s theoretically additionally exciting if it’s ginseng, as mean people have been known to poach ginseng for sale on the herbal market.
P1070981
Ignore the sensitive fern at lower left. (It won’t mind, despite its name. That’s actually its name – “sensitive fern”). What you want to see here is – one long stalk, that splits into three, with compound (more-than-one-leaf-per-stem) leaves on each of the three stems. And you also want to notice the separate stalk, coming up seemingly from at-or-below-ground-level, that similarly splits three ways, with a cluster of flowers at the tip of each one.
P1070984
Here’s the flower stalk action.
P1070990
Cute, eh?
P1070991
I tried and failed to get a look at the emerging flower.
[Editor's Note: this is probably actually wild sarsaparilla - Aralia nudicaulis)
Oh, we’re not NEARLY done yet. Let’s have a look at fern naughty bits spores.
P1070938P1070932
P1070969P1070970

The solomon’s seal flowers are finally finally finally starting to pop.
P1080012

Here’s some more on the decline and fall of the magnolia blossoms (sob!)
P1080066P1070912 - Copy

Just in time for the azalea nearby to start blooming:
P1070916
And now for the macabre. Have you been watching for bugs so far, in this post? Because there have been three so far. This next one is hard to miss. We’re on a fern.
P1070929
She’s embalming her victim in a cocoon. Don’t believe me?
P1070930
*slurp.*
Moving right along!
P1070952
We have a great boulder on the edge of the lawn. It’s a whole planet unto itself.
I keep spotting new jack-in-the-pulpits. I’m just as thrilled as I was the first time I ever saw one. I mean, who INVENTS this stuff?
P1070965

P1080072
Miterwort (Mitella dyphilla). These are hard to photograph – they’re TINY (maybe at most a quarter inch wide?) and, the mosquitos are out in this spot of the woods. I make a lot of sacrifices for this blog…I sure hope y’all appreciate it.
As for the bugs…here they are (minus the dining spider)…
bugs

No comments:

Post a Comment