Friday, April 14, 2017

pussy willows exploding, gray birch party hats, and big news

You can't always be fluff.


You gotta speak out at times.

Like, say for instance, this pussy willow. 


Ta-da! Goodbye, fluff...hello, delight. 


oh god, this makes me so happy.



I wonder if the southern sides tend to ripen up more, as would be suggested here:


Meanwhile, along the side of the road, near the edge of a former-and-soon-to-be-future beaver pond, we have speckled alder beginning to rock out. 

See the one in the middle, at the top, starting to expand?



BAM, I'll tell you wut.



I really, really, wanted the Nikon and its zoom lens today, but I hadn't used it in a while and the battery needed to be recharged. I can't wait to get all up in this alder's grill with it. Right now it all just looks like a confusing mess.



Not a great great shot, but I'm starting to remember there are little individual niblets in there. I'm guessing anthers, again?

Back to the gray birch's party hats:



Once you've noticed these, you can't un-see them. If you know you have some sorta birch with catkins happening in your world, go take a look and see if any of its buds are exploding like this. 

Sometimes you get lucky and see two right up next to each other. I'm not sure how they avoid reproducing with themselves. 



In other news, THE BEAVERS ARE BACK. Ever since That Bitch Irene blew out the dam on our pond, we've had...no pond. The beavers never really left left, they just went a little upstream for a few years and then a little downstream for a few years. A few days ago our neighbor noticed some activity and lo, he told me about it today. 



Hallelujah. The pond's coming back.



No comments:

Post a Comment