Tuesday, February 14, 2012

ice ice, baby

I rambled in a new set of woods today.  The first part involved visiting the local shrine to the powers that be.

DSC_0334

an army of icicles.

DSC_0327

daggers threatening hordes of innocent bubblies.

 

DSC_0330

innocent bubblies, huddled in terror.

From here, the trail ascended a series of switchbacks – actually, an overlapping series of switchbacks. One was For the Whole Family – an old logging road. The other darted stealthily alongside it. I rambled back and forth between the two, going wherever the fun was.

DSC_0339

Such as occasional moss-covered outcroppings, dripping in icicles.

I had the Nikon with me. Today, that meant Fun with Focus:

DSC_0341

Ze Icicles.

DSC_0342

Ze Rock Wall Behind Ze Icicles. Actually, I got to play with post-processing as well on these two, to get them to match, as one started out all blue. I typically think of that as cheating, but sometimes it really does help get the picture to look more like what I actually saw, when I saw it. Anyhoo. Back to the adventure.

DSC_0345

some icicles clung to the rocks, forming flying buttresses.

 

you know me, can’t resist a closeup.

DSC_0346

a lot of these shots ended up looking like x-rays.

DSC_0349

see the moss?

 

DSC_0350

whoa.

and now, for the surface texture at the top of the waterfalls causing all these icicles:

DSC_0351

DSC_0357

whew.

DSC_0359

the trail turned to a river of ice

DSC_0361

more like a congealed lava flow.

 

DSC_0363

sentinels watched.

 

DSC_0365

I didn’t think they’d catch me, given their feet had frozen into a puddle.

my eventual reward?

DSC_0368

a dancing goddess, practicing her tango moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment