Thursday, July 14, 2011

leaves of three

“leaves of three, let it be” = how to recognize and avoid poison ivy.
Here are three leaves of three that are friendlier.
P1110812
Jack-in-the-pulpit. This one didn’t produce a flower this year, though.

P1110813
Trillium. Neither did this one. (Produce a flower, for those of you with short-term memory deficits.)

P1110752
Hog peanut, I think. Hog peanut’s a darling little vine that gets all over the place – I found one trying to strangle my buddy the white baneberry some weeks ago, and had to remonstrate it most severely. I actually don’t know if this is baby jack-in-the-pulpit (there are at least three full-grown-with-flowers jacks right in the immediate neighborhood of these babies), or if it’s hog peanut, which is definitely also in the neighborhood.
Some folks are lucky to not react to poison ivy. I don’t know if I’m one of them, and I’m loathe to experiment by touching this one to see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. show us the evil ivy too!

    love the show... I'll tune in when ever I can.

    greenough

    ReplyDelete