Sunday, July 18, 2010

What a difference a mile makes

Today’s run was just one mile longer than the long run of two weeks ago, but whoa…that was one long mile. I even started an hour earlier, at 7:15 am, to beat the heat. The best part was stopping by a local swimming hole to soak my t-shirt and put it back on again.
I had at least two minor, and two more serious, moments of Almost Quitting, but I am just too close to race day to have enough slack to make it up. So onwards I trudged.

When I got home, I visited the wading pool for a few minutes. Wolfed down some greek yogurt and homemade mueslix. Showered. Then collapsed into bed for a couple of hours. I’ve been lolling about reading ever since.

I must confess, my lapse into chocolate heroin sauce last night might have had something to do with my low energy levels today – as a general rule, for the past several months I’ve even relatively little sugar, so a trip to the dark side really unhinged me. I slept terribly, as indeed, who wouldn’t, when stoned on sugar and dark chocolate and facing the prospect of getting up two hours early for a super-long run? I know, I know, woe is me.

I’d like to get to the point (not necessarily before this particular race) where running 12 or 14 miles is not quite so exhausting. I’m at a point where I feel like I could knock off six or eight miles on any given day with no problem, and not particularly feel it – and that’s how I’d like 12 to 14 miles to feel. It’s gonna take a lot more running to get to that point. Bring it on, I say.

In other news, Kevin’s home again (yay!) and he just showed me three baby watermelons out in the melon patch.

100_2082
Exhibit A.
 
100_2083
Exhibit B.
 100_2085
Exhibit C.
 
The cantaloupes haven’t made any babies yet but they are HUGE and awesome looking. Those are actually cantaloupe leaves in the Exhibit C picture – the watermelon leaves are the deeply lobed leaves in the (A) and (B) pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment