Friday, April 22, 2011

I really shouldn’t be allowed out in public

P1050879
The lilacs continue to open up, slowly by slowly… (Syringa vulgaris)

P1050885P1050886
I think you’re supposed to be on the inside of the flower.

P1050893
Vlad the Impaler, reincarnated as a daffodil.
P1050648P1050895
Our lone miniature hyacinth, April 14th, and today, respectively. Baby’s getting big!

P1050900
Little clusters of what might be blue-eyed grass continue to pop up here and there.
P1050903
I want to BE that color.
P1050908
Now this bug knows what he’s doing. Spring beauty (Claytonia virginica).
P1050912
These little buggers haven’t opened up yet, so I’m still clueless. Whatever they are, there are a lot more of them today than there were a few days ago.
As well as a whole army of trout lily leaves, which somebody seems to have been munching on:
P1050914
That’s another spring beauty in there.

P1050934
Also still a mystery: these super-fuzzy guys, that create little white flowers.

P1050940
No news on the magnolia front.

P1050965
I went up into the woods and Charlie followed me. Since we’ve got evil monsters in the woods, and I didn’t want Charlie to get used to the idea of hanging out up here, I carried him inside and then headed back out again.
P1050978

P1050981P1050982
I found a new cache of white blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium albidum) on the west side of the house.
After all of these forays, I went for my run, which was inexplicably much faster than my run of two days ago. On my way out, I stopped to chat with our neighbor, who was busy grading the private road we share (“hooray!”, says the trusty Honda!). He said the trapper walked the land and estimates there are nine, count ‘em nine, beavers working the pond and stream. He’ll trap some but not all of them – the goal is to have enough beavers around to maintain the dam that forms the pond, but not enough to wreak havoc on the field.
On my way back from my run, I saw something so splendid that I ran inside to get the camera. We maintain a largely shoes-off household, so I took off my running shoes, and on my way back out, naturally, I opted for the easiest footwear possible:
P1050983
Am I a hottie, or what? What on earth could possibly be worth going out in public looking like this?
P1050985
The first fern fronds of the season, that’s what!

No comments:

Post a Comment