Friday, February 19, 2010

RIP greenbean

Sad news in iPod land: my brand new iPod Shuffle, little Miss Greenbean, is not working. Well, it’s sort of working – it will play for me. But soon, the battery will die, and the only way to recharge it is to plug it into my computer. Which is not recognizing it, and after having followed all the troubleshooting tips on Apple’s website, I’ve concluded that the iPod needs to be serviced or replaced. Sob!

Even more of a bummer, because in a week I’m going to South Carolina…so I won’t be able to bring it with me. On the other hand, I probably wouldn’t need it anyway, since I only listen to the Shuffle when I’m on the treadmill, and I doubt I’d want to use it when I’m running on the beach. (How would I hear the waves? the seagulls? etc.)

Speaking of the treadmill, I’m recovering from having worked out too hard over the past few weeks. I am taking rest days… And I’ve started over from the beginning…running more slowly…doing walking breaks more frequently…

I have no garden news to report, as we’ve been busy the past couple of days doing some painting and TLC over at my dad’s house.

My father – an otherwise conservative guy, who played his cards close to his vest – sure knew how to wave his freak flag at home. Every room in his houses – his original, post-divorce house in Ohio, and his subsequent retirement dream home in Vermont – was a different color. Hunter green. Maroon. Sage green. Steel blue. Buttercup yellow. Terracotta. Peach. Pumpkin. Cappucino. 

Now that my siblings and I have his VT house on the market, we’re not really messing with the paint – for one thing, it’s a big house. A really big house. With approximately 100 picture hooks embedded in the plaster walls.

But I drew the line at a master bedroom, with windows on two sides and a stunning view of the Green Mountains, painted in chocolate brown. And an adjoining bath painted in navy blue. Too freaking dark!

2010 428 Town Hill Road 006

Am I totally happy with the tastefully neutral silly putty we just painted it? Well, it works for the space. It’s friendlier. But it’s a little bland. Let’s review: in our house, we’ve got – in addition to canteloupe, “mystery woodland” and another green labeled “sour apple” – six shades of orange, ranging from deep egg yolk to mango to marigold to pumpkin.

I guess I learned something from my dad that I hadn’t realized…

Rainbow-Happy-Face_m Let your freak flag fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment