Friday, January 22, 2010

A quiet day

100_1266

This is the winner of our Longest Icicle contest. By now it’s actually four or five inches longer. This view, by the way, is from the kitchen window, facing west, up the hill. Those are cute terraces that some long ago dweller made. We keep ‘em chock full o’ weeds, except for this pretty euonymous shrub that goes bright red in the fall. Kevin – in the pre-my arrival on the scene era – planted veggies here. I’ll have to ask him how that went – I can’t imagine there was enough sun. This is generally a ferny paradise back here. Newsflash: he reports that green beans and wildflowers did well.

Apropos of nothing, when I was a kid, one of my ambitions was to have a matched set of black panthers as pets.

100_1268 

I kinda got my wish. They’re a little smaller than panthers, I guess. That’s Charlie in the foreground and Maggie on the rug.

In other news, I am glad to report that the official training program for today called for “rest”, which I was happy to comply with.  By “rest”, I assume they also mean the following:

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oats, run through the blender
  • 1/2 tspn salt
  • 1/2 tspn baking soda
  • ~4 T butter
  • 1/4 C veggie oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 C brown sugar
  • ~2 T finely shaved dark chocolate
  • between 1/3 and 1/2 C natural, crunchy peanut butter
  • a couple of handfuls Girardhelli’s 60% cocoa chocolate chips

Stir the dry stuff together; use new beaters from mother-in-law (hi, Joan!) to mix wet stuff; incorporate dry in to wet, beat beat beat, add the shaved chocolate, beat, add the PB last, beat, add in the chocolate chips by hand, 9 minutes at 350 degrees.  *burp*.

See? Being on sabbatical has just unleashed my creative genius.  And you thought you were going to be reading about a house addition project. HAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment