Friday, May 8, 2015

shagbark hickory buds are not for the faint of heart.

iPhone photos – not ideal, but not half bad, by some of my criteria (subject, composition, and what not). Sucky by others (crispness, clarity). It is what it is – I was doing a quick after-dinner walk down to the end of the road and back and I just couldn’t resist...I even deliberately left the cameras behind, but as you can see, I’m a junkie. A junkie for spring.

This is a shagbark hickory bud what’s gotten all explody.

IMG_5718

BOOM. Those bud scales – wow. They’re huge.

And now for the tiny, a Canada Mayflower. Can’t get enough of these jaunty little guys.

IMG_5729

 

It’s Friday, it’s 10 pm, I am not breaking out the guide at this point. Maple leaf viburnum, I’m guessing.

IMG_5730

 

Another shagbark – this one’s the terminal bud of a sapling less than a foot tall.

IMG_5735

Don’t underestimate me. I’m an old grandpa at heart.

The blurriness drives me nuts, until I remove the expectation of crispness, and then it just looks kinda cool.

IMG_5743

IMG_5749

Too lazy to confirm the ID on this one – the significant thing being, I NEVER see these guys flowering. So: special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment