Tuesday, April 3, 2012

yowza. bloodroot, frog song, TRILLIUM…

P1190473
This is from a walk in the woods in town, not where we live. Tis bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)! Check out those leaves. So very modest. Don’t look! Don’t look!
DSC_0155 (3)
Back at home, I visited the lone hyacinth, last seen here on March 22nd. It’s opened up a bit, eh?
DSC_0160 (3)
The lawn is dotted with eastern blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium atlanticum).
DSC_0163 (3)
Let the records show that our feral forsythia has finally started in – earlier than last year, to be sure, but later than the highly southern latitudes just a couple of miles from here.
When you’re lying in the leaf litter taking pictures, sometimes you come across unexpected riches, like…
DSC_0171 (2)
…a whole stash of bonus hyacinth in the beginnings of the woods.
Have you ever wondered just exactly what an almost-open daffodil looks like? I know I have.
DSC_0188 (2)
Not Yet.
DSC_0190 (2)
Alllmost…

DSC_0211 (2)
Check this out, it can’t decide if it’s white, or yellow. Sweet.
We’ve got some coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) – normally our very first wildflower, but this crazy spring, it’s scrambling to keep its place in the line-up.
DSC_0218 (2)
 Click here to see what it looks like when it goes to seed.
Hold on to your hats, the willow (species unknown) out by the mailbox is simply crazy. DSC_0225 (2)
This is soooo weird, because these guys didn’t get going until a MONTH from now last year, when other things were up and running that so far I’ve seen no sign of.
And now, for the audio portion. I visited the wetland across the way. Want to hear the quintessential sound of Vermont spring? (Hint: if you are not from around here, the correct answer is “yes”.)


I admit, I got distracted by the end by a tadpole, which I didn’t capture in the video. But here’s a tadpole for you:
DSC_0243 (2)
And-and-and I spotted something green amidst the clutter of leaf litter and and and it’s TRILLIUM.
DSC_0250 (2)
Stay tuned on this puppy, it’ll be glorious. (Trillium erectum.)

1 comment:

  1. I gave you a shout-out on my blog....

    http://www.pennyromance.com/2012/03/finally-i-get-to-wear-my-tiara.html

    These photos are incredible! Maybe we'll come up to Vermont for spring break.

    ReplyDelete