Sunday, July 2, 2017

a random sampling of roadside pleasures

July already? 

Gone are the days when I could while away the hours on a mere trip to the mailbox a quarter mile away, and get 200 shots in. For lo, I am gainfully employed and whatnot, and damn if it doesn't eat in to the esoteric pursuits. Translation: oh right, the Mighty Lumix! Let's go out into the world with it, shall we?

The milkweed is just starting to pop.



This summer, I've let a handful of milkweed get established in the lawn because, why not? We got mouths to feed. Specifically, this one:



I spotted this monarch caterpillar a couple of days ago but couldn't find him (her?) (it?) today. Must be around somewhere.

Grass is always good for a close-up. I don't know what kind. The tall kind. Sorta like timothy grass, but we have that, and it hasn't gotten this far along yet.


Purple-flowering raspberry. I'm just going to go on a binge here, don't mind me. We'll start with the beginning:






Some say beauty fades with youth, but I'm not so sure...the petals may be gone, but this is life unfolding before your very eyes...





Ah, wasn't that fun? Soon that'll ripen into the the sweetest little open-cupped raspberry you can imagine. Yum.

Here, have a fly.


And now, a final dose of purple, courtesy of the bittersweet nightshade flower...



OK, time to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment