Sunday, March 8, 2015

Ts'ehlanyane National Park

The plan was to sleep in, and to wander in the hills. In this, we were not disappointed. I’d say the only bummer of the day was the Nescafe. I don’t care what anyone says: instant coffee is just no good. But it’s what was available. I pondered the unfairness of life from the upstairs balcony.

IMG_4453

Poor, poor me.

After brekkie, we headed back to the little stream we’d visited the evening before, and found the trailhead on its other side. Crossing was not a problem – plenty of slabs of rock.

IMG_4455

Our micro-hike took us gently up the side of the hill we’d seen the eland on the previous afternoon.

IMG_4461

The main lodge is at the top left; the lower structures are a different set of lodges. Not ours.

 

IMG_4462

Our little house is the third from left.

I slowed us down, taking pictures of what else, flowers. I only had my phone with me, so I didn’t go too crazy.

IMG_4469

IMG_4473

IMG_4480

At one point a fence appeared – I believe to keep us from tumbling down some steep places.

IMG_4481

IMG_4482

Plenty of eland poop.

 

IMG_4511

Kevin walked with his arms overhead, trying to avoid contact with the tall grasses.

IMG_4515

That boy’s one walking allergy.

When we got back to the rock pool, we found a bunch of tadpoles.

IMG_4523

IMG_4527

Including one with legs.

We practiced our selfies.

IMG_4534

I found a rock with three threads running through it in different directions – a first.

IMG_4536

I figured it was magical, so I conjured up an offering to the river goddess.

Later in the day we headed up to the main lodge, in search of wifi.

I admired the lobby’s decorations: my kind of place.

IMG_4541

IMG_4542

The check in desk.

IMG_4543

The sitting lounge.

That night, it clouded up...there was thunder...there was lightning...no stars. Just a peaceful evening and deep, deep sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment