Monday, June 24, 2013

wisdom as dispensed by the municipal mowing team

I was dismayed to see the town’s mowing crew vehicles out on our dirt road this morning. Devastation and chaos ensued.
DSC_0934
This jack-in-the-pulpit wasn’t too pleased, either.
DSC_0936
Fortunately, others survived. These continue to be GREEN.
DSC_0938
...except this one, but this one looks like it’s still trying to GET green, rather than transitioning from green to red.
(As I type this, the mowers are just outside the house. I shudder to think of the fate of folks I was JUST photographing a few minutes ago. Hopefully the blades are set too high to wipe out the campion. Sob.)
It was stupendously hot, and I was moving quickly, because my goal was to get about a mile away to where some jewelweed is starting to bloom, without expiring on the way. I’ve seen gigantic jewelweed but only one flower, so I planned to investigate and see what I could learn.
I couldn’t resist the just-opening milkweed flowers, though:
DSC_0947
*slurp*
DSC_0952
This guy got crud all over his feet and spent some time clinging to the underside of a leaf, cleaning its back legs. But it kept a front leg hooked over the edge to hang on:
DSC_0975
What the hell are those little paddles coming off the joints? That is crazy.
Celandine seed pods are ripening. Apparently they orange up as they ripen...
DSC_0988
...because then they apparently just explode, leaving just the husks:
DSC_0008 (2)
One still had seeds inside...
DSC_0010 (2)
Looking up the road to the acres of jewelweed I planned to visit, I realized they were all gone:
DSC_0992
Slashed down without so much as a by-your-leave. There goes that project.
On the unmowed side of the road, I saw a fair amount of jewelweed, but just a single flower, and a few seedpods.
DSC_0038 (2)
Maybe they just...don’t...flower every year? Sigh. I’ll figure it out eventually.
When life’s mower comes along, change what side of the road you’re on. That’s my new motto. I found stuff I wasn’t expecting – such bonuses as red baneberry...
DSC_0034 (2)
These seem to get red more the way apples do – green blushing into red. Still no clue how those jack-in-the-pulpit berries are going to get red. Perhaps by magic, overnight?
A few trillium, long gone to seed:
DSC_0004 (2)
And all the celandine I showed you a minute ago.
By this point I was dripping sweat and ready to go home.
DSC_0050 (2)
Almost home - I found another stash of these across the street from my neighbor’s mailbox, but I fear I will never be able to ID them, as the gnashing of mowers have probably just wiped it all out.
DSC_0052 (2)
Farewell, sweetie. I saw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment